Location: Zaheerabad Mandal, Sanga Reddy District, Telangana, India
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- Government of Telangana
The Mahindra & Mahindra Limited has adopted an integrated watershed management program to address water scarcity, land degradation, and crop and livestock productivity which improves rural livelihood system with the help of ICRISAT Development Centre (IDC), International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT). In April 2017, the project has taken up in a hydrological area of around 813 ha, spread in and around Bhuchinelli village, named as Mahindra-ICRISAT Watershed. The watershed is located just 3 km away from Mahindra Farm Division Plant in Zaheerabad mandal of Sangareddy district in Telangana state as shown in Figure 1.0. The Bhuchinelli village had total population of 4030 (nos) and 405 households. The average annual rainfall in the project area is around 895 mm. The watershed area is characterized by plain topography with less than 2.0% slope. The major soils in the watershed are black (40%), red (40%) and Laterite (20%) with medium to high water-holding capacity. Of the total geographical area of the watershed, 70% of area is under agricultural use and the remaining area is under wasteland and non-agricultural use. Of the total agricultural area, 50% of area is rainfed and 50% of area is under irrigated condition. The farmers grow soybean, pigeon pea, cotton and black gram predominantly in rainfed areas and paddy and sugarcane in irrigated areas of the watershed.
The specific objectives are:
- To enhance water availability in the target village through rainwater harvesting and recharging of wells, to demonstrate that science-based interventions can increase water availability;
- To enhance agricultural productivity through Good Agricultural Practices (GAP);
- To establish a model village that demonstrates increased productivity and improved livelihoods; and
- To build the capacity of farmers, women and youth in the watershed.
- Mahindra & Mahindra-ICRISAT Collaboration Bags “Best Watershed” Recognition
- Multi-National Company Nurtures a Climate-Smart Village, Facilitates Return of Migrant Farmers