Location: Odisha, India
Odisha Livelihoods Mission (OLM) is a registered autonomous society working under the aegis of Panchayati Raj Department of the Government of Odisha for enhancing the socio-economic conditions of the rural poor through promotion of sustainable livelihoods. The OLM aims to focus on primary sector of livelihoods of rural poor and work intensively both in agriculture, non-agriculture & livestock sectors under the programme “Mission Samrudhi”. For smooth and successful implementation of program, three Krushi Mitras (Farmer Friends) are engaged to support the poor households in different agriculture and horticulture activities and two Prani Mitras (Livestock Friends) are engaged to support the household on livestock interventions (poultry birds & small ruminants) at one Gram Panchayat Level Federation (GPLF). To provide handholding support and last mile extension service on different livelihood activities, one External Livelihoods Support Person (ELSP) is engaged for two Gram Panchayats (GPs). By taking the opportunities for the possibilities of aggregation, collectivization, value addition and organized marketing, Producer Groups are formed on-farm, off-farm, non-timber forest produce (NTFP) and non-farm sector. In each Producer Group, one Udyog Mitra is engaged to facilitate and provide handholding support.
The project activities will adopt two parallel approaches. One route will focus on restoration and augmentation of coconut based livelihood in the FANI affected areas of Puri and Khorda. The other route will focus on 20000 households in target GPs of specific block across the four districts viz. Gajapati, Rayagada, Nabarangpur and Koraput. The activities in the two FANI affected districts will be implemented on a priority basis and would involve relevant local and/or national institution/organization to adopt pragmatic, flexible and science based livelihood augmentation of the affected local stakeholders. Multiple project activities mentioned below though are aimed to deliver the overall objective of improving the livelihood for the target households must be carried out concurrently in a collaborative mode with appropriate implementation partners and OLM grassroot level functionaries.
The specific objectives are:
- Restoring coconut-based livelihood in Puri and Khorda districts in the aftermath of Fani cyclone through specific science-based interventions;
- To strengthen the process of sustainable soil management through soil test-based nutrient application for enhancing agricultural productivity across the target GPs in four districts of Odisha viz. Raygarah, Gajapati, Koraput and Nabarangpur;
- To demonstrate productive potentials of science-led interventions in selected crops as a means to improving rural livelihood in the target GPs across these five districts;
- To build the capacity of grassroots level OLM functionaries to translate proven science-based practices for scaling up of successful crop-based interventions; and
- To strengthen agri-based value chain for improving rural livelihoods for the target households through the strengthening of FPOs, introduction of ICT based tools, low-cost mechanization and technical backstopping for localized processing of produce.