Duration: 2019 – 2024
Location: Kalahandi, Odisha, India
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
- NGO partner Jansahajya
As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility, Power Grid Corporation of India Limited supported the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) in developing a scalable site of learning to improve livelihoods and build resilience through integrated watershed management in Kalahandi district of Odisha. The watershed comprises an area of around 2500 ha and is home to around 8500 people. The watershed program was formally launched and is being implemented by a multi-disciplinary team of scientists/managers supported by field staff and local NGO Jansahajya.
The specific objectives of the project are
- Establish “Model Sites of Learning” in Kalahandi district of Odisha to harness the potential of rainfed areas by adopting an integrated water resource management approach;
- Demonstrate and popularize science-led integrated and efficient soil, water and climate smart crop management practices to enhance crop productivity and improve rural livelihood in the targeted villages;
- Develop the capacity of farmers in the region to improve rural livelihood through farmer- friendly knowledge sharing and dissemination to enhance stakeholders’ awareness about climate smart water efficient and nutritious cereals and vegetables for cultivating and its integration in regular diet; and
- Improve nutrition levels, especially of women and children, through the consumption of more millet and vegetables.